This article covers method to resolve SQL Error 17051.
This SQL error sometimes happens when the SQL Server Evaluation period has expired.
To fix Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio error:
1. Now as per the error message you open the Event Viewer and see that the Event with ID 17051, which shows SQL Server Evaluation period has expired under Details section.
2. Now, you recall that the Instance that you had installed was under Evaluation of 180 days, because you didn’t applied any Product Key. So, now how can you make it live again? All you need is a Product key of SQL Server and some clicks.
3. Open the SQL Server Installation Center and click on Maintenance link, and then click on Edition Upgrade.
4. Now on the Upgrade window Click Next and you will reach the Product Key page, apply the Key and click Next.
5. On the Select Instance page, select the SQL Instance that you want to fix and Click next. It will take some time and finally you will see a final window and click Upgrade.
6. Finally you will see the successful window, click on Close button.
Also, you can use following command line installation option to skip this specific rule to allow the upgrade process to complete successfully:
a) Open Command Prompt (CMD)
b) Go to the folder where SQL Server Setup, setup.exe file is located (like C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2012\)
c) Apply following command:
setup.exe /q /ACTION=editionupgrade /InstanceName=MSSQLSERVER /PID=<appropriatePid> /SkipRules= Engine_SqlEngineHealthCheck
The <appropriatePid> should be the 25 digit Key.
The above command line runs SQL Server setup in silent mode.
Now Restart the SQL Server Service for this Instance, and you will see it running fine.
Finally, go back to SSMS and now you can connect to the SQL Instance.