This article covers methods to resolve fix 'An error occurred while reconnecting' Windows error.
Causes for 'The Local Device Name is already in Use' Error on Windows:
1. Drive mapping has gone wrong – The process of network drive mapping can sometimes produce problems like this one when it comes to drive letters.
2. Some drive letters are unassigned – Some drives may have incorrect or even missing drive letters which causes this error to appear.
3. File and Printer Sharing is disabled – If this option is disabled in any firewall you might be using, networking becomes difficult and full of errors.
4. No space on the server – Users have reported that they had to free up at least a couple of gigabytes on the root drive of the network’s server to get rid of the problem.
To fix 'The Local Device Name is already in Use' Error on Windows:
Remap the Drive Using Command Prompt
Remapping the network drive is the official solution recommended by Microsoft for users facing this problem. However, it has worked for many users and it has become one of the most used methods for this problem.
Check out the steps to implement this;
1. Search for “Command Prompt” either right in the Start menu or by tapping the search button right next to it. Right-click on the first result which will appear at the top and select the “Run as administrator” option.
2. Users who are using an older version of Windows can use the Windows Logo Key + R key combination in order to bring up the Run dialog box. Type in “cmd” in the box and use the Ctrl + Shift + Enter key combination in order to run Command Prompt as an administrator.
3. Copy and paste the command shown below and make sure you click the Enter key on your keyboard.
net use * /delete
4. After you see that the operation is completed successfully, run the following command:
net use Z: \\server\share /user:username password
5. Make sure you replace the username and password placeholders with the correct username and password. Check to see if the problem is resolved!