This article covers how to resolve the error, SQL Attributes do not match. Basically, the error, Attributes do not match occurs during SQL Server installation or during SQL Server patching activity.
Once you get this issue, you can check all drives available on your database server whether they are compressed or not. If any drive is compressed and SQL Server is using that drive during installation then that might be the reason for getting issue Attributes do not match.
You need to uncompress all such drives and then start the installation.
To uncompress the drive we need to launch property window of that drive:
1. We just need to right click on the identified drive and choose Properties to see the status of compression.
2. You can see compress this drive to save disk space option is ticked.
3. Uncheck this option and click on OK button to apply the change.
4. Once you validated all drives that none of the drives are compressed then you can start SQL Server installation and this time SQL Server installation will be successful.
When installing SQL server and running into an error "Attributes do not match.
Present attributes (Directory, Compressed) , included attributes (0), excluded attributes (Compressed, Encrypted)".
This is because you are trying to install SQL into a folder that is compressed which is not supported.
To fix this;
1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL server folder
2. Right click on properties on SQL Server folder.
3. Under advanced option in general tab, look for compress contents to save disk space, uncheck it.
4. Also, uncheck "encrypt contents to secure data"
5. Re-run the SQL install