OpenProject is a free, open-source, and leading project management system written in Ruby on Rails and AngularJS. It allows you to manage projects across a diversity of teams and departments. Also, It is available in both community and enterprise editions. The community edition covers a wide range of features and plugins.
In this context, we shall look into how to install OpenProject software on Debian 11.
Main features on OpenProject includes:
- Agile and Scrum.
- Bug tracking.
- Task management and team collaboration.
- Product roadmap and release planning.
Steps to install and configure OpenProject on Debian 11
1. Perform System Update
To begin, it is a good idea to update your system packages to the updated version. You can update them by running the following command:
$ apt-get update -y
2. Install gnupg and Apt-Transport-Https Package
Once all the packages are updated, run the following command to install other necessary packages:
$ apt-get install gnupg2 wget apt-transport-https -y
3. Install OpenProject
By default, the OpenProject package is not included in the Debian 11 main repository. So you will need to add the OpenProject repository to the APT.
First, download and add the GPG key with the following command:
$ wget -qO- https://dl.packager.io/srv/opf/openproject/key | apt-key add -
Next, add the OpenProject repository with the following command:
$ wget -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openproject.list https://dl.packager.io/srv/opf/openproject/dev/installer/debian/11.repo
Once the repository is added to the APT, update the repository cache with the following command:
$ apt-get update -y
Once the repository is updated, install the OpenProject using the following command:
$ apt-get install openproject -y
Once the installation has been completed, you will get the following output:
The openproject package provides an installer. Please run the following command to finish the installation:
$ sudo openproject configure
Setting up imagemagick (8:18.104.22.168+dfsg-1.3) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.69) ...
At this point, OpenProject is installed in your system. You can now proceed to configure it.
4. Configure OpenProject
You can now configure the OpenProject using the command below:
$ openproject configure
- You will be asked to select the OpenProject edition.
- Select the default option and press the Enter key. You will be asked to select the external database or install it locally.
- Choose the install PostgreSQL server and press the Enter key. You will be asked to install the Apache webserver.
- Choose to install the Apache2 web server and press the Enter key. You will be asked to set the FQDN for your server.
- Provide your FQDN and press the Enter key. You will be asked to define the server path.
- Leave it blank to install the OpenProject on the root domain then press the Enter key. You will be asked to install the SSL.
- Select NO and press the Enter key. You will be asked to set up SVN.
- Select Install SVN and press the Enter key. You will be asked to define the repository path.
- Leave it default and press the Enter key. You will be asked to install the Git repository.
- Select Skip and press the Enter key. You will be asked to install Sendmail.
- Select Skip and press the Enter key. You will be asked to install the Memcached server.
- Select install Memcached and press the Enter key to start the configuration.
- The OpenProject package will install and start the Apache service automatically.
You can check the status of the Apache using the following command:
$ systemctl status apache2
How to Access OpenProject Web UI ?
Now, OpenProject is installed and configured.
- You can now access it using the URL http://open.yourdomain.com/login. You will be redirected to the OpenProject login page.
- Provide default username and password as admin/admin and click on the Sign in button. You should see the Change Password screen.
- Change your default password and click on the Save button. You should see the OpenProject welcome page.
- Click on the Save button.