Are you trying to resolve Microsoft SQL Server Error 916 ?
This guide is for you.
Sometimes in the process of connecting to SQL Server database using SQL Server Management Studio with limited permissions, we may face Microsoft SQL Server error 916.
Here at Ibmi Media, as part of our Server Management Services, we regularly help our customers to resolve related Microsoft SQL server errors.
The main reasons for this error are:
1. When a user with limited permissions tries to view the column data in a selected header.
2. At times, the database may be in offline mode.
3. Several databases with different collations are on the same instance, that is why SQL Server Management Studio is unable to retrieve the collation.
4. The database is configured to an auto-closed state.
5. Sometimes the database may get corrupt due to some malware, improper shutdown, or when the database goes in suspect mode.
Following are the two methods to fix this error:
1. Via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
2. With the help of T-SQL
1. Firstly, connect the SQL Server instance having valid credentials using SSMS.
2. And go to the Object Explorer Details followed by the View Menu or press F7 for the same.
3. After that, open the Databases folder.
4. Then go to the object explorer and right-click to open the column header.
5. After that, right-click on the column header and uncheck all of the optional columns.
6. Finally, click the refresh button.
Now we will be able to see the database.
Often unchecking the COLLATION option automatically fixes the issue.
We can connect to the database via Transact-SQL. Grant the specific login access to the named database.
We can use the following syntax:
GRANT CONNECT TO [TEST_DB/BOB];
Now we can try either of the following to fix this error.
1. Disabling Collation
i. First, we need to select the Object Explorer Details under the View section within the SSMS.
ii. Then right-click on Column Header and deselect Collation.
iii. Finally, refresh the server and operate a database.
2. Disabling the Auto Close setting of the database
Here we need to check the Auto Close setting of the database, set it to False, and proceed further.