Sometimes, Problems can arise if proxies are not configured correctly while using with Nagios.
In fact, Nagios does not officially support Nagios XI when you install and use proxy software that restricts traffic to or from the Nagios XI server.
Nagios XI requires external access for package installation and updates.
Package installation and updates may not work when proxies are configured incorrectly.
In this context, we shall look into the problems while we use Nagios with proxies and how to fix them.
Generally, most of the problems arise because:
1. Nagios XI requires external access for package installation and updates. Package installation and updates may not work when proxies are configured incorrectly.
2. Nagios XI code makes several internal HTTP calls to the local Nagios XI server to perform. These will not work properly if we deploy a proxy that is not configured properly. It can also result in a non-functional Nagios XI installation.
Initially, we need to configure the yum and wget configurations to make XI installation work with a proxy.
In addition, to update the following files, we need to access the Nagios XI server in an SSH session.
proxy=http://someproxyserver:port/ # Shouldn't need to be quoted, remember the trailing slash
proxy_username=myname # The username we authenticate to our proxy with, if applicable
proxy_password=mypass # The password we provide to our proxy, if applicable.
http_proxy=http://myname:mypass@someproxyserver:port/ # All in one string this time
https_proxy=https://myname:mypass@someproxyserver:port/ # Only required if we have a HTTPS proxy
no_proxy=localhost,127.0.0.0/8,10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/12,192.168.0.0/16 # Hosts to exclude from proxying
We don't have to quote in any of these. However, if we have special characters in passwords, we need to escape them with backslashes.
We suggest another method as well:
1. Prior to running any installation script, install the php-pear package manually.
2. Set proxy for PHP Pear
pear config-set http_proxy ‘http://example.com:8080’
3. Then run Nagios installation scripts sequentially.
4. Before running E-importnagiosql script, unset the system proxy.
How to Update Check Behind A Proxy ?
For systems behind a proxy, update checks are known to fail.
We have a proxy component that allows the update check to work behind most proxies.
To configure the proxy settings, navigate to Admin > Proxy Configuration.